Well hello there! It’s been a while. Life has been pretty busy thanks to job searching and wedding planning, but I thought I would get back into the blogging with a recipe for a delicious leftovers salad I made today (and it’s vegan!) Some of my favourite meals tend to be when I have created something different from leftovers, but luckily for you I have written down the recipe so you can re-create this Mexican couscous salad at home! As mentioned, I made this from the leftovers of our vegetarian nachos the other night (as I ate the leftover corn chips as a snack). We tend to make the nacho mix recipe for the two of us plus leftovers for work/study lunch the next day, so the measurements of nacho mix I am giving below would make enough for 4 or so people. Anyway, let’s get into it.
Nacho Mix Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 can medium chilli beans
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Salad Ingredients for One
- 1/4 cup Couscous
- 3/8 cup boiling water
- dash of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of Nacho mix
- 1/4 avocado
- a few cherry tomatoes
- 1 spring onion
First off! If you don’t already have leftover nacho mix follow the steps below, otherwise skip ahead to the next section and change amounts of the salad ingredients based on how many people you are feeding!
Nacho Mix method
- Heat up the tablespoon of oil in a large deep pan.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it starts to go a bit see through. Note: you don’t want the onion to brown!
- Add the garlic once the onions are cooked and let the flavour develop for a minute.
- Next add the drained corn, tomatoes, chilli beans, cumin and salt and cook ’til heated through
- You’re done! (well almost). If you want to have nachos now make sure you have some corn chips and save 1/2 to 1 cup of the mix too cool down for this salad the next day!
Cous Cous Salad Method
- In the bowl that you want to eat from add the couscous and hot water. Stir quickly and then let it sit for a couple of minutes to bloom.
- Add the olive oil and fluff up the couscous with a fork.
- Add the nacho mix, chopped cherry tomatoes, spring onion and avocado.
- Mix gently and enjoy!
Let me know if you have a go at this recipe, and if you like to experiment like me let me know what is something that you have made recently from leftovers?